Saturday 5 February 2011

there is beauty in the city : la conversación - #2

No. 2 in a series of conversations with Bilbao's Igor Calvo

igor calvo - photograph #2
Sometimes I think about the city as if the landscape of an old abandoned mine would be, through whose layers and traces we can study and learn about the different stages of its development.
In Bilbao, as in Stoke-on-Trent and many other cities that share a similar past, there are a lot of references to its industrial past and the impact its industry had and still has in the development of the city.
However, I think we often forget that Bilbao's history goes back much further than the last century and a half.
And, although it played an extremely relevant role in it industrial past, we often forget that it was Bilbao’s estuary, la Ría, the one that has accompanied and shaped the character and the development of the city throughout its history.
Here, at the end of the Zorrozaurre peninsula, with the last relics of industry behind me and the reflection of one of the few factories that still remains near the city in front of me, I wonder if I find myself in the last halt to the river that would allow me to go down to the water and catch a boat to leave the city behind, if so I do wished.

No comments: